
This is one of my favorite spots to study on a clear day. It's a steep 20-minute hike from the Pali overlook - to the left is Honolulu and to the right the cliffs drop down 1,800 feet to the the Windward Coast and Kaneohe Bay. The Koolau Mountains catch the tradewinds from the northeast, forming a persistent layer of clouds over Lanihuli in the distance.
Shooting Mode: Aperture Priority
Shutter: 1/200
Aperture: f/9.0
Focal Length: 18mm
Flash: On
Metering: Pattern
ISO Speed: 100
I love this view!! I'm curious to know if you took this same shot with different camera settings and discovered the effect of those settings?
ReplyDeleteThank you for making this learning as part of the game. So far I think I've relied on composition - I'm excited to learn more about how to really make that great picture.
I've been playing with ISO and am working on a document that shows the differences that ISO settings make (it is subtle, but visible - at least under incandescent light). I'll get it to you when it's done.
happy snapping!
a
Yep, I took about 15 shots of this scene - all playing around with aperture f-stops and flash on/off. I noticed that for distance photography the "sweet spot" for aperture on my camera is between approximately 8 and 11 f-stops (I also read this somewhere as well). Above this degree (between 18-22 f-stops) just the slightest degree of shake can introduce a very small but perceptible blur to objects in the far distance (this is very hard to avoid without a tripod) I also found that putting the flash on in daylight can occasionally make the color in the scene a bit more vivid. I took all of the pictures that day in 100 ISO - I wish I would have thought to also do it in 200 and 400 to see what kind of a small difference this would have made.
ReplyDeleteHere is a good link that gave me a better understanding of aperture concepts and the relationship between aperture and shutter.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.photoxels.com/tutorial_aperture.html